Connect the external hard drive that you will use to copy the iPhoto Library. You should see it appear on your desktop. Open a new Finder window and click Pictures in the left sidebar. Dec 10, 2021 Move Photos To External Hard Drive Mac Os X Posted By admin On 10/12/21 Apr 17, 2015 Much like making an entirely new Photos library in OS X, you’ll need to use the Option key during application launch to be able to migrate an iPhoto library into Photos app. Moving an iPhoto Library into Photos App of OS X. Quit out of Photos app (and iPhoto. Safely Transfer Photos from Mac to External Hard Drive with dr.fone Allows transfer and management of media files and other data. Backs up data easily on the computer and restores. Transfer files among different smartphones. Compatible across thousands of Android devices, all latest models of iPhone and iOS versions.
- Move Mac Photo Library
- Import Photos From Mac To External Hard Drive
- How To Move Photos App From Mac To External Hard Drive
- Move Pictures From Mac To External Hard Drive
- How To Export Pictures From One Drive
Prepare your storage device
Reason 1, your Mac can use a Seagate external hard drive formatted as HFS+ for a Time Machine backup. So if anything happens to your Mac you can restore your entire Mac from a Time Machine backup. Reason 2, when you accidentally delete a file you want, then you can bring that file back as well. Jan 30, 2018 Transfer the files from your Mac to an external drive. The process of transferring files from your Mac to an external drive is simple, but if you are not sure how to do it, then following these steps will get you through it. Connect your external drive to your Mac and wait for the icon of the plugged-in drive to appear.
Make sure that your external storage device, such as a USB drive or Thunderbolt drive, is formatted for Mac: either APFS format or Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format.
You can't store your library on a storage device used for Time Machine backups. And to avoid possible data loss, don't store your library on a removable storage device like an SD card or USB flash drive, or on a device shared over your network or the internet, including over a cloud-based storage service.
Move Photos Library to the storage device
- Quit Photos.
- In the Finder, open the folder that contains Photos Library. By default, Photos Library is stored in the Pictures folder of your home folder. You can open your home folder by choosing Go > Home from the Finder menu bar.
- Drag Photos Library to a location on your external storage device. Learn what to do if you get an error.
- After the move is finished, double-click Photos Library in its new location to open it.
- If you use iCloud Photos, designate this library as the System Photo Library.
If you want to delete the original Photos Library to save storage space on your Mac, you can drag it from its original location (the Pictures folder of your home folder) to the Trash. Then empty the Trash.
Move Mac Photo Library
Always make sure that your storage device is turned on and available before opening Photos. If Photos can't find the device, it stops using the Photos library stored there.
If you want to open a different Photos library
Import Photos From Mac To External Hard Drive
- Quit Photos.
- Press and hold the Option key while you open Photos.
- Select the library that you want to open, then click Choose Library. Photos uses this library until you open a different one.
If you get an error when moving Photos Library
How To Move Photos App From Mac To External Hard Drive
- Select your external storage device in the Finder, then choose File > Get Info.
- If the information under Sharing & Permissions isn't visible, click the triangle to see more.
- Make sure that the “Ignore ownership on this volume” checkbox is selected. To change it, you might first have to click the lock button to unlock the setting. If the storage device isn't formatted correctly for Mac, or was used for Time Machine backups but hasn't been erased, this checkbox won't be present or won't be selectable after unlocking. In that case, erase the storage device first.
Move Pictures From Mac To External Hard Drive
How To Export Pictures From One Drive
If you have some other permissions issue with your library, you might be able to resolve the issue with the Photos Library repair tool.