- 1. Windows 10/8/7 Backup
- 2. Backup Computer/Laptop
- 3. External Drive
- Mac Formatted External Hard Drive Not Showing Up On Pc
- Mac Doesn't Recognize Usb
- Usb Drive Won't Show Up
Having the exact same issue, Bootable usb created properly not showing up in macbook pro boot menu, only hard drive shows. Installation is corrupt. What worked for me and hopefully others is hold Command + R just after you press the on button. How to Fix an External Hard Drive Not Showing Up on Mac External drives, whether they are traditional hard disk drives or more modern external solid-state drives, are a great convenience for every home user, allowing them to keep large amounts of photos and video files, as well as other large media files in a convenient location, without the.
by Anna SherryUpdated on 2021-08-24 / Update for Windows Tips
The external hard drives can easily store data up to several GigaBytes. That is why they are widely used by students, entrepreneurs, and other employees to store important files and access them later. But sometimes, when you plug an external drive into your Mac or Windows, it is unrecognized, or don’t show up. It can be very frustrating if you don’t know how to fix this issue. However, many users have reported that they lost important data while trying to resolve this issue. So, this article will provide all solutions on how to fix exteral hard drive not showing up as well as how to recover data from unrecognized external hard disk.
Part 1: Why Is External Hard Drive Not Showing Up Mac?
Many factors can lead to the problem of external hard drive not showing up in Windows or Mac like:
Drivers on Windows are outdated, the power supply is insufficient, USB outlets or hard drive is damaged, partition problem, bugs in the file system, or any issue in partition.
But good news is that you can troubleshoot all these issues.
Part 2: 8 Ways to Fix External Hard Drive Not Showing Up Mac and Windows 10 (Full）
So, it you are encountering any of the above issues, following paragraphs will help you deal with this problem.
General Methods for Both Windows and Mac:
1st: Check the Device Plugging in Properly
First of all, make sure the external device is plugged in properly. Many times, it is connected loosely and users face the issue of toshiba external hard drive not showing up on Mac/windows.
2nd: Examine Cable's Quality to Fix External Hard Disk Not Detected
Sometimes, there is an issue with the power cable of the drive. When you connect the drive to Windows or Mac and its light doesn’t turn on then there is an issue with the cable.
So, try to use another cable to examine if the issue of seagate external hard drive not showing up windows 10 persists.
3rd:Switch to Another USB Port to Solve Hard Disk Not Detected
A Windows or Mac has more than one USB ports. Most often, one of them is damaged. So, try to plug in the USB in any other port to solve the issue of seagate external hard drive not showing up windows 10.
4th: Using Another Mac/Windows
If Seagate external hard drive flashing but not showing up then it can be a possibility that all the ports of your Mac/Windows are not working, that is why you should use connect external drive into another Mac or windows.
5th: Make Sure Support the Drive Format
To make sure that your computer supports the external drive in Windows:
- Press Windows + X buttons on your keyboard and type ‘disk management’and press Enter.
- It will open a window bar showing all the internal and external drives. Check if if the name of your external drive exists here.
If you don’t see the problematic external drive in the list, it means the system might not support the drive format.
Similarly, to check the format in Mac:
- Go to Apple (in the toolbar), then select About this Mac and go to Storage and see if the external drive is shown here or not.
Useful for Mac
1st: Change Your Preferences on Mac
It can happen that an external hard drive not showing up on mac desktop screen but your Mac has already detected it. In such a scenario, you have to change system preferences ( basically settings) on Mac:
- Choose Apple menu > System Preferences > and then select the preferences you want to set.
Useful for Windows:
1st: Troubleshoot the Disk Management
A very useful method of fixing this issue is by troubleshooting the hardware. To do that:
Go to the Control Panel and search for the Troubleshooting icon and open it.
Now click on the Hardware and Sound option and from the left panel, select Hardware and Devices option and then click on Next. The windows will automatically troubleshoot the issue.
2nd: Fix the Driver Issue
Often, drivers for external drives are not working properly on your Windows and you have to check and fix them by:
- On your keyboard, press Windows + X keys and
- select Device Manager from the pop-up menu and
- then click Expand Disk drives option.
Here, right-click on the external drive that is not working and from the three available options i.e., Update driver, Uninstall device, and Properties according to the issue and complete the process by following the steps on the prompt screen.
How to Recover Data from External Hard Drive Not Showing Up? (Useful)
Many users lose data from the external drive while trying to fix it or it may also crash unexpectedly on your Mac/Windows resulting in data loss.
But Tenorshare 4DDiG for Mac Data Recovery helps to recover all types of lost files from the external drive back to your Mac. So, to retrieve the lost data on Mac, follow the below guideline:
After installing UltData-Mac, open it on your Mac and select a location ‘External Drive’ on your Mac where lost files were present. Then click Scan to begin the process.
Now, the software will search for all the deleted files from the external drive and show them on the screen.
Here, select the files you want to restore, and click Restore and choose a location on your Mac to save the recovered files. Don’t select the same external drive from where you lost the data.
Similarly, if you are using a Windows and want to recover the lost files from an external device to your computer, then Tenorshare 4DDiG for Windows Data Recovery empowers you to recover any kind of lost data. To do so:
Download and launch 4DDiG for Windows Data Recovery on your computer and select the external drive where lost files were present and click on Scan.
It will take some time to scan the drive and show all the deleted or lost files on the screen.
Now, check the files you want to restore and click Recover and then select a location on your computer to save the retrieved files.
To conclude, many times it happens that your external hard drive is not showing up in mac but with above-mentioned fixes, you can easily troubleshoot this issue by yourself. Also, if you have lost data from external drive, then you can easily recover it back using Tenorshare 4DDiG for Windows Data Recovery or Tenorshare 4DDiG for Mac Data Recovery. Its user-friendly interface helps users to easily recover any volume of lost data on Mac/Windows.
FAQs about External Hard Drive Not Showing Up on Mac/Windows
Reasons for External Hard Drive Is Not Showing Up Mac
Some common reasons for hard drive not showing up in Mac are;
- Drivers on Windows are outdated
- power supply is insufficient
- USB outlets or hard drive is damaged
- partition problem
- bugs in file system
- or any issue in partition
How Do I Fix My External Hard Drive Not Showing Up on My Computer?
You can fix this issue by many methods like:
- Check the Device Plugging in Properly
- Exam Cable's Quality to Fix External Hard Disk Not Detected
- Switch to Another USB Port to Solve Hard Disk Not Detected
- Using Another Mac/Windows
- Make Sure Support the Drive Format
- Troubleshoot the Disk Management
- Fix the Driver Issue
- Change Your Preferences on Mac
While transferring data I accidentally unplugged my verbatim external HD, light comes on and I can feel it spinning but it's not being recognized. I'm not getting any error message, like it's not even plugged in, both the USB plugs on the external hard drive and computer are ok. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
No matter what computer you use, Windows or Mac, accidentally unplugging an external hard drive without safely ejecting will easily cause serious problems, such as the external hard drive not recognized, lost data, corrupted file system, crashing programs or Windows not booting up.
This passage will offer you the best way to fix external hard drive not recognized after accidental unplugging on Windows and Mac.
- The solutions for Windows:
- 1. Fix corrupted external hard drive using cmd.
- 2. Reformat the corrupted external hard drive.
- 3. Try other ways.
- The solutions for Mac:
- 1. Mount external hard drive in Disk Utility.
- 2. Repair unmountable external hard drive via Disk Utility.
- 3. Reformat the unmountable external hard drive.
- 4. Try other ways.
• Definite Guide to hard drives not showing up/mounting issues
Fix external hard drive not recognized after accidental unplugging on Windows
First thing: check if the drive is visible in the Disk Management or Device Manager. If fortunately, the external hard drive is there, just follow the below steps.
Solution 1: Fix corrupted external hard drive using cmd
You can fix the corrupted hard drive using cmd like chkdsk command on Windows.
Mac Formatted External Hard Drive Not Showing Up On Pc
- 1. Go to the start menu, type in 'cmd' in a search bar, right click 'cmd. exe'.
- 2. Type in 'chkdsk /X /f drive letter:' or 'chkdsk drive letter: /f ', for example, 'chkdsk /X /f G:' or 'chkdsk G: /f'.
Solution 2: Reformat the corrupted external hard drive
If chkdsk fails to fix external hard drive not recognized after accidental unplugging on Windows, the last choice is to reformat the corrupted external hard drive. But reformatting will clean all data stored on the external hard drive. If you care about data on external hard drive, you'd better recover lost data from the corrupted external hard drive. Here recommend you a free data recovery software -iBoysoft Data Recovery for Windows.
iBoysoft Data Recovery for Windows is a free data recovery tool for Windows that enables you to recover lost data from external hard drive that was accidentally unplugged on Windows XP/Vista/7/8/10 as well as in Windows Server 2019/2016/2012/2008/2003.
Besides, it can also recover deleted/lost files from formatted, RAW, corrupted, inaccessible drive, recover lost data from deleted or lost partition, etc. It supports to recover lost data from external hard drive, hard drive, USB flash drive, SD card, memory card, pen drive, etc.
Step 1: Recover lost data from external hard drive that was accidentally unplugged with freeware
Here is a video guide
- 1. Download, intall and launch iBoysoft Data Recovery for Windows.
- 2. Select the corrupted external hard drive and click 'Next' button to scan all lost data.
- 3. Preview the searching results, choose files you need, and click 'Recover' to get them back.
Step 2: Reformat the corrupted external hard drive
- 1. Go to My Computer (or This PC) or Disk Management, right click the corrupted external hard drive and select 'Format' from right-click menu.
- 2. Set information about format: File system, allocation unit size, volume label, format options (The default format option is Quick Format).
- 3. Click Start, the format operation will be completed in several minutes.
Fix accidentally unplugged external hard drive not recognized on Mac
Mac Doesn't Recognize Usb
First thing: check whether external hard drive can be found in Disk Utility. When your external hard drive can show up in Disk Utility, follow the below guidance.
Solution 1: Mount external hard drive in Disk Utility
- 1. Open Disk Utility.
- 2. Right click the external hard drive from the left sidebar and then click the Mount button.
Solution 2: Repair unmountable external hard drive via Disk Utility
- 1. Launch Disk Utility.
- 2. Choose the grayed out external hard drive.
- 3. Select First Aid in the top center and click Run.
Solution 3: Reformat the unmountable external hard drive
Reformatting will erase data on external hard drive. To avoid data loss, professional data recovery software is needed.iBoysoft Mac Data Recovery is such a professional data recovery tool.
iBoysoft Data Recovery for Mac is the best free Mac data recovery software that canrecover deleted files from emptied Mac trash, recover lost data from formatted, inaccessible, corrupted, unmountable, unreadable external hard drive, hard drive, USB flash drive, SD card, memory card, etc. It is compatible withmacOS High Sierra/10.12/10.11/10.10/10.9/10.8/10.7.
It can recover lost data from no matter what are documents, pictures, music, videos, emails. More importantly, iBoysoft Data Recovery for Mac supports file systems APFS, encrypted APFS, HFS+, HFS, FAT32 and exFAT drive.
Step 1: Recover lost data from external hard drive that was accidentally unplugged on Mac
- 1. Launch iBoysoft Data Recovery for Mac.
- 2. Select unmountable external hard drive and click 'Next' button to scan all lost data.
- 3. Preview the searching results, choose files you need, and click 'Recover' to get them back.
Step 2: Reformat the unmountable external hard drive
- 1. Launch Disk Utility.
- 2. Select the unmountable external hard drive on the left part of the window.
- 3. Click the Erase on the top of the Disk Utility window.
- 4. Complete the related information (name, format, scheme), then click Erase.
If unfortunately, your external hard drive can't be found in Disk Management/Disk Utility. Try the ways listed below:
Solution 1: Try a different USB port or USB cable
You can change a USB cable, connect the drive to a different USB port or different computer.
Usb Drive Won't Show Up
Solution 2: Try data recovery software
If the external hard drive is not showing up on PC, you should use data recovery software to get files off as soon as possible.
Solution 3: Send it to a local technician for help
If you failed with the above two solutions, it is very possible that the external hard drive has some serious hardware problem, and you need to seek help from a local technician.
• Quickly Fix WD External Hard Drive Not Recognized