Also, the drive will be in sync with Google Drive. Wrap Up: Backup Files to Google Drive on PC/Mac. Apart from just syncing with Google Drive and backing up photos to Google Photos, Google Drive for desktop also comes with new features than the Backup and Sync app. For example, it integrates better with Microsoft Office apps and also has the.
- Google Drive has a seperate app for Windows 10 & Mac. Here's how to download and install Google Drive on Windows 10 & Mac computer.
- Download And Install Google Drive For Mac. The first this to do is install the Google Drive for Mac app. This is basically the piece of software that’s going to dictate what gets synced to your computer and what doesn’t. After installing the app, a new folder will be located inside the Documents folder, and will be called Google Drive.
- You can add Google Drive to the desktop on your Mac and essentially bring a synced Google Drive folder to your computer.
- Once you download the Google Drive app, you can use Backup and Sync to share files between your Mac desktop and Google Drive.
- You can also manage the specific files that get backed up, to the point of adding just one folder to your Mac desktop that will automatically update the folder in Google Drive.
- This story is a part of Business Insider's Guide to Google Drive.
File-sharing programs make it easier than ever to share data — from simple documents to larger video files.
Google Drive is one of the best file-sharing tools out there, and you can even add all of your Drive files on to your Mac computer's desktop. With Backup and Sync, you can select certain Google Drive folders to keep housed on your desktop, as well.
Here's how to do it.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
MacBook Pro (From $1,299.99 at Best Buy)
How to add Google Drive to the desktop on your Mac computer
1. Download and install the app to your Mac if you haven't already.
2. Once you've installed and added it to your applications, a Google Drive folder should appear in your Finder.
3. You can now sync your documents and files to your Google Drive directly from your desktop. In your Google Drive, your computer should show up in the left sidebar menu, under Computers.
How to sync files between Google Drive and your Mac desktop
Google Drive For Desktop Mac Not Opening
1. Open the Backup and Sync cloud icon in the top toolbar of your Mac. This should have also downloaded with the Google Drive app.
2. Click on the three vertical dots to the right of the drop-down, then scroll to Preferences. This is where you can customize everything that will sync between your Mac and Google Drive.
3. Click on choose folder.
4. Find the folder on your computer and click on it.
Add Google Drive To Desktop
5. A popup will ask if you want to upload to Google Drive on the web. Click on 'Continue.'
6. That folder will now be set up to sync with your Google Drive.
7. Double-check that it worked by opening your Google Drive in a browser, and click on 'My Computers' in the sidebar.
8. Click on your computer, then click on the folder that you selected in Backup and Sync.
9. Ensure that any files you put in the folder have also shown up in Google Drive. If so, you essentially now have a Google Drive folder on your Mac desktop.
Related coverage from Tech Reference:
Insider Inc. receives a commission when you buy through our links.
Google has officially turned on Drive File Stream for all users, the company announced in a Wednesday blog post, which also marked the eventual death of Drive for Mac and Drive for PC clients.
'With this launch, Google Drive for Mac/PC is officially deprecated,' the post said. 'It will no longer be supported starting on December 11th, 2017, and it will shut down completely on March 12th, 2018.'
Google Drive For Mac Download
Admins will begin to see settings for Drive File Stream under Apps > G Suite > Drive and Docs > Data Access as well. However, the settings will not go into effect until September 26--the day that Drive File Stream becomes generally available.
SEE: Cloud Data Storage Policy template (Tech Pro Research)
Google debuted the Drive File Stream on March 9, 2017. The service allows users to stream Drive files directly to their computer, to be accessed from the desktop without being stored locally.So, in lieu of using Drive for Mac/PC, Google is encouraging users to utilize Drive File Stream instead, the post said. However, users can also work with Backup and Sync instead, which the Google post described as the 'new version of Drive for Mac/PC.'
If a user is already running both Drive File Stream and Backup and Sync on their computer, Google will prompt them to cancel the sync between their Drive and Backup and Sync. The news also has some impact on Team Drives as well.
'Team Drive editors won't be able to edit their Team Drive files when they're opened in Drive File Stream; they'll only be able to view them,' the post said. 'To edit these files, they'll need to open them in Drive on the web.'
If you want to wait it out, Google will remind you of the end of life dates sometime in October, the post said.
The 3 big takeaways for TechRepublic readers
- Google is turning on Drive File Stream for all users as a replacement for Drive for Mac/PC.
- Support for Drive for Mac/PC will end on December 11, 2017 and the service will shut down completely on March 12th, 2018.
- Team Drive editors won't be able to edit Team Drives in Drive File Stream, they'll need to use the Drive web client.
Google Weekly Newsletter
Learn how to get the most out of Google Docs, Google Cloud Platform, Google Apps, Chrome OS, and all the other Google products used in business environments. Delivered FridaysSign up today
- Google Drive Backup and Sync feature offers full backup alternative to Apple Time Machine (TechRepublic)
- Google is killing off Drive sync client in March: Here's what replaces it (ZDNet)
- Google G Suite: 10 new features heading your way in 2017 (TechRepublic)
- Google Docs: This big update just added some serious new features (ZDNet)
- Essential reading for IT leaders: 10 books on cloud computing (free PDF) (TechRepublic)